We alter kilts that no longer fit our customers, regardless who made it. You would need to send in the kilt along with a completed measurement form (found at the bottom of our home page, or by scrolling down to the bottom of this page) with a note detailing what you need done. Call us at 1-800-426-7268, or email us at email@example.com to discuss.
Here is a general cost guideline for the type of alteration needed:
- Replace kilt straps and buckles $30.00
- Put a hem in the kilt $30.00
- Replace kilt lining with new lining $75.00
- Alter waist and hip $175.00
- Alter waist and hip and hem $195.00
- Alter total length shorter $195.00
- Total reconstruction of kilt (required with larger alterations) $275.00
- PLEASE NOTE we can also make a kilt from material you provide for $275.00
Return shipping via ground service to you will cost $19.00. Alterations delivery times can vary widely depending on what needs to be done, so please contact us and we'll give you an estimate once you place your order. Call us at 1-800-426-7268 with your timeline, and we'll tell you if we can get it done.
Note: In rare instances, we find that some kilts cannot be altered larger due to large changes requested (generally increases of 8" or more). But, there is really no limit to reducing a kilt.
Send the kilt using the following addresses depending on how you ship:
U.S. Mail: J. Higgins, Ltd., P.O. Box 14341, Lenexa, KS 66285.
FedEx or UPS: J. Higgins, Ltd., 10559 Lackman Rd., Lenexa, KS 66219.
Be sure to insure the package.
Please view our video below and our measurement guide that follows for measuring tips.
Kilts & Kilt Skirts
- Waist ___(the stomach at the navel which is the widest for men; narrowest for women. Where women wear their belts.)
- Ledge of Hip Bone ___ (This is where men would wear a belt with a pair of pants)
- Hips ___(The widest part around the seat)
- Length ___(Taken from the ledge of hip bone to middle knee while standing straight; we add 2" to this measurement. Provide total lengths for below knee skirts, we will not add 2" to these type skirts.)
- Trouser Inseam___
- Your Height ___ (in feet and inches)
- Total length of a kilt you currently own___
Product ReviewsWrite Review
Posted by CAPT George Graves on 11th Mar 2020
I had two of my Edinburgh made kilts remade larger and your work is simply first class. They are every bit as beautiful and well made as they were by the original Scots kilt maker and the fit is perfect. I will definitely be ordering a new kilt from y'all in the near future. Thank you for giving me back my treasured Highland Dress!
CAPT George Shaw Graves
Posted by Mark on 7th Feb 2017
Thanks John for a great job on my kilt alteration. I was so disappointed when I received my custom made kilt from a UK kilt maker and it didn't come close to fitting properly. Thanks again it fits perfectly, I'm thrilled !